At CES 2018, Mobileye Aftermarket announced a series of partnerships and collaborations with ride-share leaders, municipalities and government administrations that will enable the mapping of city streets around the world, including London and New York, through the deployment of Mobileye 8 Connect™ in thousands of for-hire vehicles.
Mobileye 8 Connect™, Mobileye’s next-generation aftermarket collision avoidance system powered by the EyeQ4®, is capable of collecting dynamic data to make cities smarter, safer and Autonomous Ready™. Beginning early this year, the Mobileye 8 Connect-equipped fleets will harvest valuable information on city streets and infrastructure to create high-definition crowdsourced maps through Mobileye’s Road Experience Management (REM) – a critical enabler of full autonomy.
New partnerships using data to build HD maps and enable smart cities include:
- Gett: The global on-demand mobility company is expected to equip approximately 500 London black cabs with Mobileye 8 Connect. In addition to important safety features, the technology will be used to create the first HD map of London through REM.
- Buggy TLC Leasing: The large lessor of for-hire vehicles servicing popular ride-share apps such as Uber is expected to outfit approximately 2,000 New York City-based vehicles with Mobileye Aftermarket. Through the REM system, data will be collected resulting in a high-definition map of NYC.
- Düsseldorf, Germany: The city of Düsseldorf is expected to equip 750 vehicles with Mobileye 8 Connect. Financed by the German federal government, this project will test models of data collection and investigate the suitability of Düsseldorf’s existing infrastructure for autonomous vehicles and connected driving.
- Country of Spain: Mobileye and Spain’s Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) will collaborate to enhance road safety and prepare Spain’s infrastructure and regulatory policy for autonomous vehicles.
- Berkshire Hathaway GUARD insurance: The business insurance provider is expected to equip approximately 1,000 to 2,000 trucks with Mobileye 8 Connect to reduce damage and claims costs. Data collected through the embedded REM capability of these systems will result in a rapidly refreshing HD map of the areas where these vehicles operate.
Launching this year, Mobileye 8 Connect offers an increased level of safety, connectivity and data-collection capabilities to empower management of fleets and city assets on a much larger scale. Building on insights and expertise, the improved algorithms and new suite of safety tools of Mobileye 8 Connect bring collision avoidance safety and smart city data collection to the next level.